Monday, November 12, 2012

Field Photos: Kumaon Himalaya Landscapes In The Shama Gogina Region

The location of the picture below is from near the village of Shama in the Kumaon Himalayas. Here  I am, dreamily looking north towards the Namik Glacier lying on the footwall of the north dipping Berinag Thrust and also the footwall of the north dipping Main Central Thrust! .. That is one of the structural characteristics of the Lesser Himalayan region.. it is made up of stacks of thrusts sheets.  ..but the geology will be up in another post as I need time to sort through some photographs and such (Update November 29 2012: See my new post on the geologic traverse!).


Meanwhile here is a location map of where I went on my trekking adventure followed by images of the scenic landscapes.


View Gogina, Uttarakhand in a larger map

Nanda Devi at sunrise from my camp near village Shama. This is the 2nd highest peak in India and the 23rd highest in the world.


View of the Panchchuli range from near the village Shama.


The pictureque village of Gyan Dhura where I camped for several days.


 Range after range. Himalayas leave you breathless.


 Red hot chilli peppers drying in the sun to be used in making a spicy chutney!


Children of the village Gyan Dhura. Roofing material is a graphitic slate and phyllite of the Deobang Formation.


Another beautiful village. In the background are the north-north east dipping Deobang Formation dolomites and graphitic phyllites.


Brilliant  yellow in the Himalayan sunshine. A house in the village of Gogina.


Ending with a teaser. There is a structural feature in this picture I will be writing about in my upcoming post.


I did an important traverse from the village of Shama to the village of Gogina and saw some very interesting geology, structure and metamorphic transitions. Annotated satellite images and cross section to follow soon.. stay tuned.

Update November 29 2012: See my new post on the geologic traverse!

No comments:

Post a Comment