Friday, June 24, 2011

What's Your Favorite Geology Word: Primarrumpf

Honestly.. I don't have a favorite word, but Primarrumpf has stuck in my mind for sometime.

I posted it as a geology quiz a couple of years ago. It's a german word for the oldest preserved planation surface or peneplain on the continent. In the Indian context the Primarrumpf developed during a long period of tectonic stability through the late Paleozoic and Mesozoic, wherein the Precambrian cratonic shield was eroded to a low relief landscape or peneplain. Its often referred to as the Gondwana surface.

A friend who is not a geologist emailed me at that time and told me that she thought Primarrumpf meant a primate's rump..  not too far off since rumpf means body or torso!

so the happy memories :)

This posting is in response to Accretionary Wedge #35 hosted by Georneys.

1 comment:

  1. I thought at first it was fancy phonetics for guffawing something

    ReplyDelete